Full Withdrawal Process
A Full Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances (Full WE) is for students who are trying to withdraw from ALL of their classes in the current semester. This process is for students who have attempted to utilize campus and/or community resources, but are still unable to complete their coursework. Please review information on the Full WE process in its entirety, found below, before submitting a request form.
- The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) only handles current term withdrawal with extenuating circumstances (WE) requests! Students wanting a WE from a previous term must submit an academic petition through their Banner Self-Service account.
- Any student who is approved for a Full WE will need to go through the Petition to Return process when they are ready to return to school. Students should fully review information on the Petition to Return Process before submitting a request for a Full WE so they have a full understanding of that process as well. After the self-withdrawal deadline (60% completion of the semester) has passed, the majority of Full WE’s approved for medical reasons will last through the current semester plus one additional semester.
- Once the current semester ends (last day of classes), SASS will not accept any requests for full withdrawals due to extenuating circumstances. At that point in the semester, students will be responsible for submitting an academic petition via Banner Self-Service.
- Parts of Term classes: Students may be enrolled in a Part of Term class within a full semester (fall or spring). Students enrolled in Part of Term classes should review information for how these short term classes are affected by a Full WE.
- Please make sure that your circumstance falls under the criteria for a WE before submitting a request. If a circumstance does not qualify for a WE, a student will need to utilize their 16 self-withdrawal credit hours or reach out to their academic advisor and/or academic college to discuss alternative options.
- It is imperative that students reach out to Niner Central to discuss any financial implications that may come from doing a Full WE. Students will also need to cancel their housing contract (if they live on campus) and their dining plan. Students are responsible for reaching out to these individual departments BEFORE filling out the request form.
- Undergraduate students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor to discuss the implications of a Full WE on their plan of study.
- Graduate students are encouraged to speak with their program coordinator and/or academic advisor to discuss the implications of a Full WE on their graduate plan of study.
Required Steps For Full WE
Students must complete the following steps by all posted deadlines in order for the request to be reviewed in a timely manner by the Withdrawal Committee:
Step 1 – Submit a Full WE Request Form
To begin the process of applying for a Full WE, students must complete the appropriate request form. This form will only be accepted until 5pm on the last day of classes for the current term.
Step 2 – WE Consultation with SASS
Following an initial review of a student’s Full WE Request Form, students will receive an official letter to their UNC Charlotte email address. This letter will outline next steps and action items, including how to schedule the Full WE Consultation meeting with the Assistant Director for Withdrawal Services or other available staff member. Please note that this letter will be delivered to your email and requires you to enter your Niner Net credentials to retrieve.
Step 3 – Submit Supporting Documentation
Students are responsible for gathering and submitting supporting documentation to the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services. Students should review information regarding documentation criteria. Please note that if you need to submit the Health Evaluation Form, the completed form must be faxed to the SASS Office directly by the medical provider.
Step 4 – Financial Consultation with Niner Central
Students will be provided with contact information to schedule a financial consultation with designated staff in Niner Central. The financial consultation is to provide students with a better understanding of the financial implications of a Full WE.
Getting A Decision
An undergraduate student’s Full WE request (once all steps are completed) will be presented to the Withdrawal Committee, chaired by SASS, for review and decision. The committee meets monthly. Please refer to the Important Deadlines section below for important dates. A decision letter will be sent to the student via their University email address within one week following the committee meeting.
A graduate student’s Full WE request (once all steps are completed) will be submitted via an academic petition by SASS. The Graduate School will review your request and render a decision. Graduate students are expected to complete the steps, as outlined above. Completed requests are submitted on a rolling basis throughout the semester and up until the last day of classes for the given term.
- The student will be withdrawn without grades, will not receive a GPA for that academic term, and will see a designation of “WE” for classes in the relevant term. A hold tag is placed on the student’s account which prevents registration for subsequent classes. If the student is already registered for future classes, then those classes may be dropped.
- A student must submit a Petition to Return with supporting documentation prior to the semester in which they intend to return. Note, students who remain out for more than 12 consecutive months must also apply for readmission.
- If a student’s request is denied, their current grades will remain in place. Students are given the opportunity to appeal this decision through the Provost Office. The decision of the Provost Office is final.
- More information on the appeal process can be found here.
The Withdrawal Committee meets monthly. For your request to be heard, students must complete all steps for the Full WE or Petition to Return process by 5:00 PM on the dates listed below:
|Month of WE Committee Meeting||Deadline||Petition to Return Information|
|August 2023||08-02-2023||Deadline to Complete Petition to Return Process for Fall 2023 Return|
|September 2023||No Meeting|
|December 2023||12-06-2023||Deadline to Complete Petition to Return Process for Spring 2024 Return|
|January 2024||No Meeting|
|May 2024||04-29-2024||Deadline to Complete Petition to Return Process for Summer 2024 Return|