Withdrawal Policy

Students have two possible options for withdrawing from classes, if such a decision becomes necessary. One option is self-withdrawal. Self-withdrawing from classes should be used when a student does not meet the criteria for a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances (WE). Undergraduate students are given a 16-credit hour limit for self-withdrawals to be used over their academic careers. Any student, undergraduate or graduate, may self-withdraw from class(es) by deadlines published in the University’s Academic Calendar. Students who self-withdraw from classes by posted deadlines in a given semester will received a “W” on their transcript for the specific class(es) for which they have self-withdrawn.

The second option is to explore the possibility of a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances (WE), whether partial or full. Students should carefully review criteria for the types of circumstances that qualify for a WE. Please note, meeting the criteria alone does not guarantee approval for a WE. Students needs to complete all steps of the WE process, whether for a partial WE or a full WE, which is outlined further on our website. Any student who withdraws under approved extenuating circumstances will receive a “WE” for the specific class(es) for which they are approved. WEs do not count against 16-credit hour self-withdrawal limit.

Both types of withdrawal are subject to all financial aid and satisfactory academic progress rules. Additionally, courses marked W or WE do not count in GPA calculations but do count in attempted hour calculations for all undergraduate and graduate students.

Student Assistance and Support Services strongly recommends that all students, undergraduate and graduate, speak with their academic advisor and/or program coordinator to discuss all academic options and possible impacts to their plan of study if they pursue a self-withdrawal or Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances for any courses.

Leaving the University without completing the official withdrawal process may result in the assignment of a temporary or failing course grade. Students who are unable to withdraw from a course but stop attending anyway must accept whatever grade the instructor assigns (most often an F) for their partial work.

Students can review comprehensive information on various academic policies and procedures through the Office of the Provost.