Academic Petition for Late Withdrawal

Late Withdrawal through Academic Petition

Academic Petition for Late Withdrawals are used when students wish to withdraw from a previous semester (meaning a term that has already ended), wish to request that courses they have already self-withdrawn from be converted to a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstance (you must demonstrate an extenuating circumstance), after the self-withdrawal deadline for a given term has passed, or when SASS’s semester deadline to assist with a withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances (WE) has passed. Academic Petitions are housed directly in the student’s Academic College. Students have one calendar year from the semester in which they took the class to submit an Academic Petition for a late withdrawal.

Academic Petitions are decided upon by the student’s Academic Associate Dean of their college. Please submit documentation directly to the Academic Associate Dean or on the Academic Petition form when filling it out. Students will receive communication directly from their college about a decision when one is made.

Note: It is the student’s responsibility to make sure documentation gets to their Academic Associate Dean.

The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) recommends that when preparing to submit an Academic Petition, you write a statement that addresses the following: what the extenuating circumstances are that have caused academic impact, specifically how you were impacted, and any steps you have taken to address the concern(s). Students may still use the Health Evaluation Form (which you can download) as supporting documentation for medical/mental health concerns. When submitting an Academic Petition on your own, the Health Evaluation Form does not need to be submitted to the SASS office. You may attach it directly to your Academic Petition. For personal and/or family emergencies, students should submit documentation that speaks directly to those circumstances.

Please Note: Students who request a Full WE through an Academic Petition following SASS’s posted semester deadlines, may still be required to engage in the Petition to Return Process through SASS. Deadlines to engage in this process are final and students should review this information prior to submitting an Academic Petition to their college so they are aware of the implications of a Full WE and the process to return. Keep in mind that if you are approved for a Full WE from the Spring 2024 semester through an Academic Petition, the Petition to Return deadline for Summer 2024 has now passed.

Please contact your Academic College for questions about your Academic Petition.

Academic Petition Instructions

After reviewing the information and recommendations above, students can follow the instructions below for submitting an academic petition online (in conjunction with withdrawals after deadlines have passed).

Students can access the Academic Petition Portal directly. Students can also access the portal by logging into their Banner Self Service account via (accessible under “Student Records” within the “Student Services/Student Accounts” tab; students are redirected to log into the portal).

Once a student has written their statement and collected all appropriate supporting documentation and is ready to submit the petition, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Log into the Academic Petition Portal.

Step 2: Review information on the Academic Petition and click Start a New Petition. From the Petition Type drop-down menu, select the most appropriate reason for your petition type. Please note: “Late Withdrawal” will be used in most cases where a student is requesting a late withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances after the semester has ended. Be sure to explain that request directly in your narrative. If “Late Withdrawal” is not a selectable option in your portal, please choose the most appropriate alternative petition type and be sure to explain in your narrative the exact nature of your request, including the specific semester/year and courses for which you are making the request. If you have already self-withdrawn and are requesting that the W’s be converted to a withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances (WE’s), you will likely need to file your request under “General – Course Related,” since self-withdrawn classes will not be a selectable option under the “Late Withdrawal” petition type. Review information and click Continue when ready to proceed.

Step 3: Complete all relevant fields, including selection of term and courses (if applicable to the petition type). Provide detailed narrative and upload supporting documentation.

Step 4: Click submit and your petition will be forwarded to the Associate Dean of your academic college for review and decision.

Step 5: Monitor your email for correspondence from your academic college regarding your petition.